Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Szechuan Nights


Jackie is officially back in Texas and Gerry and Janet came up to have dinner and were harboring a craving for Asian food. What else could I do but recommend one of the restaurants on my list that needed to be crossed off: Asia Cafe. You would think that this place would be one that I may have found just because I needed Chinese food while waiting for my car to be fixed at the nearby Firestone but no, Asia Cafe is number one on Eater Austin's Top 38 and I have heard this name mentioned over and over from fellow food-loving co-workers. 

Our family-sized menu included Spicy Beef, Crispy Duck, Mushrooms and Bok Choy, Curry Noodles, Salt and Pepper Shrimp, and Pork Dumplings. The place may be a little disorienting at first. You won't know how to order, whether to sit down, speak Cantonese, or whether you should put tea in one of those blue bowls or in a water cup but the pay-off is worth it. I got the thumbs up on authenticity (a word closely associated with this place) from my fellow diners who have spent time in China. Probably on both the food and the disorientation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment